The Judging Committee for the 2016 Good Design Award was again headed by Mr. Kazufumi Nagai as the Chairman and Ms. Fumie Shibata as the Vice Chairman. At the beginning of the screening process, Mr. Nagai instructed the Judges to "carry out screening as you discover a new aspect of design" and to "bear in mind fair screening through a broader perspective with the main focus on Discovery and Sharing."
|HUMANITY||the creativity that guides the making of things|
|HONESTY||the ability to clearly see the nature of modern society|
|INNOVATION||the vision to open up the future|
|ESTHETICS||the imagination to evoke a rich life and culture|
|ETHICS||the thoughtfulness to shape society and the environment|
For this year, "Time perspective" was added to the previous scope of perspectives.
- Whether due considerations, including usability, understandability, and friendliness, etc., are given to users
- Whether various considerations, including safety, security, environment, physically weak persons, etc., are given to maintain the credibility
- Whether the design gains sympathy of users
- Whether the design has attractiveness and induces users' creativity
- Whether issues are skillfully solved by using new technology and materials or through creativity
- Whether the item is reasonably designed or planned with appropriate technology, method, and quality
- Whether the item contributes to the creation of new industry or business
- Whether the item contributes to the creation of new culture, such as a new method, lifestyle, communication, etc.
- Whether the item contributes to the realization of the sustainable society
- Whether the item suggests new value, such as a new method, concept, style, etc. to society
- Whether the item puts past contexts and accumulated achievements to propose new value.
- Whether the item proposes a highly sustainable solution from medium- and long-term perspectives.
- Whether the item represents continual improvements in accordance with the times.
Project Policies for This Year
The 2016 Good Design Award has followed up the 2015 project with some improvements, striving for the following objectives: Discovery and Sharing (main focus); Fair and Timely Screening; Sharing the Expertise Gained through Screening; and Enhancing Public Relations. Below is a summary of the improvements.
- In order to facilitate more multifaceted deliberations, we have revised the screening perspectives this year, as well as appointing 26 new Judges, who are experts in a range of different fields. We also increased the number of Judges from overseas to facilitate a more global perspective during the deliberations.
- In order to facilitate more accurate screening, we have revised the Good Design Award screening process, with a focus on Special Awards Panel such as for the Good Design Best 100 and the Good Design Gold Award, clarified the revised points and incorporated them into the Judge Tutorial Book.
- With regard to the Focus Issue Program introduced last year, we have revised the number of issues, in response to views expressed by the winners, and set nine more new issues for this year.
- We revised how the special award names are written, in response to views expressed by the winners.
- In order to make more discoveries during the screening process, we had the Focus Issue Directors make presentations on the respective issues to the Special Awards Panel.
- In order to strengthen Discovery and Sharing, comments were actively made on entries regardless of whether the entry was screened out or in.
- For Transparent Screening, we made the screening process public through a variety of information media.
Stronger Promotion of the Award
- In order to promote the award from various aspects, we restructured the previous form of the award exhibition "G Exhibition" to four different exhibitions: "GOOD DESIGN EXHIBITION 2016"; "People's Choice Good Design Grand Award Exhibition"; "My One Choice 2016 Exhibition"; and "LONG LIFE DESIGN EXHIBITION 2016."
- In order to better promote the award winners, we launched two platforms for interviews and publications: "GOOD DESIGN COMPANIES" and "GOOD DESIGN MAKERS."
- We now collaborate with commercial distribution partners including department stores and specialist stores to carry out a range of sales initiatives.
Improved Presence of the Good Design Award in Asia
We worked to deepen collaboration with respective Asian countries including Thailand, India and Singapore, who are partner in our Design Award project; Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong, where on-site screening was held last year; and other ASEAN countries; and to promote our Good Design Award through strengthening ties with the design industries in those regions and host various events there.
Launch of Readiness Design Project
In order to facilitate the Discovery and Sharing of new expertise through the Good Design Award, we launched a project on "Designs with Readiness for Natural Disasters." The project team intends to carry out a series of initiatives starting with an exhibition at the G Exhibition.
Good Design Award 2016 Schedule
Good Design Award Application period (April 6 - June 1)
1st Screening (June 8 - June 28)
Entries were divided into several units.
Results notification of the 1st screening (June 29)
2nd Screening (July 7 - September 6)
Held at Tokyo Big Sight and overseas.
2nd Screening (Venue: Tokyo Big Sight East Hall 2,3) (July 26 - 28)
For subjects who passed the 1st screening, we conducted a secondary screening using the actual products, panel or other documents. Day 1&3 was closed door, and Day 2 was conducted the "Interactive hearing". Recommended "GOOD DESIGN BEST 100" candidate from each unit which juries selected was inspected by juries: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Unit Leaders of all units, Focus Issue Directors.
2nd screening in Taiwan (July 30 - August 1)
Cooperated with Taiwan Design Center, the screening is for entries from Taiwan. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the BEST 100 candidates.
2nd screening in Korea (August 3 - August 4)
Cooperated with Korea Institute of Design Promotion, the screening is for entries from Korea. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the BEST 100 candidates.
2nd screening in Hong Kong (August 14 - August 15)
Cooperated with Hong Kong Design Center, the screening is for entries from China Mainland and Hong Kong. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the BEST 100 candidates.
Good Design Award and BEST 100 Board(August 18)
The Judging Committee Chairman, Vice Chairman and respective Unit Leaders confirmed the outcomes of the Second Screening. This was followed by deliberations by the Judging Committee Chairman, Vice Chairman, respective Unit Leaders and Focus Issue Directors, in which the Good Design Best 100 were chosen from the candidates nominated by the respective units.
Good Design Special Award Panel (August 19)
Through deliberations by the Judging Committee Chairman, Vice Chairman, respective Unit Leaders and Focus Issue Directors, finalists were chosen for the Good Design Grand Award, the Good Design Gold Award and the Good Design Special Award from those listed in the Good Design Best 100.
Results notification of 2nd screening(September 7)
With regard to the Good Design Award and the Good Design Best 100, screening results were notified through the entry site. The finalists for the Gold Award, etc., were notified individually of the decision.
Announcement of the award results (September 29)
The 2016 Good Design Award winners and the Good Design Best 100 winners were announced alongside the Good Design Grand Award finalists.
GOOD DESIGN AWARD BEST 100
Good Design Grand Award voting (General voting: September 29-October 23)
Good Design Award Winners' Exhibition (G Exhibition: September 29-November 3)
People's Choice Good Design Grand Award Exhibition (September 29-October 23 at GOOD DESIGN Marunouchi)
My One Choice 2016 Exhibition (September 29-October 23 at Tokyo Midtown Design Hub)
GOOD DESIGN EXHIBITION 2016 (October 28-November 3 at Tokyo Midtown and Shibuya Hikarie)
LONG LIFE DESIGN EXHIBITION 2016 (October 28-November 20 at GOOD DESIGN Marunouchi)
Announcement of the Good Design Special Award (October 28)
Good Design Award ceremony & Grand Prize (October 28)
Yearbook "GOOD DESIGN AWARD 2016" Publish (March 2017)
2016 Long Life Design Award Schedule
General nomination (April 6-June 16)
Nominations were received via the Good Design Award website from product users, designers and corporations.
Decision on nominee longlist (June 23)
Judges for Long Life Design Award selected finalists from the nominated designs and compiled a longlist.
Closing of entries by Principal Implementing Businesses (July 8)
Closing of entries to the Long Life Design Award from the longlist made by the implementing businesses.
Judging information and entry confirmation documents submissions closed (July 20)
Regarding the confirmed entries, those that entered were to register their judging information and to submit their entry confirmation documents.
Long Life Design Award Panel (July 28)
At the second screening venue for the Good Design Award, Judges for the Long Life Design Award reviewed actual products, panels, etc., and decided on the winner of the Long Life Design Award.
Long Life Design Award winner announcement (October 28)
2016 Long Life Design Award to be announced
Good Design Long Life Design Award
Long Life Design Award Exhibition "LONG LIFE DESIGN EXHIBITION 2016" (October 28-November 20 at GOOD DESIGN Marunouchi)
Long Life Design Award Winner Celebration Party (October 28)
Publication of the Good Design Yearbook (March 2017)