|HUMANITY||Emerging creative power for products and conceptual embodiments|
|HONESTY||Insight toward contemporary society|
|INNOVATION||Conceptual power to pioneer the future|
|ESTHETICS||Imaginative power for a prosperous lifestyle culture|
|ETHICS||Thinking power to shape society and the environment|
Perspectives of the screening
- Whether due considerations, including usability, understandability, and friendliness, etc., are given to users
- Whether various considerations, including safety, security, environment, physically weak persons, etc., are given to maintain the credibility
- Whether the design gains sympathy of users
- Whether the design has attractiveness and induces users’ creativity
- Whether issues are skillfully solved by using new technology and materials or through creativity
- Whether the item is reasonably designed or planned with appropriate technology, method, and quality
- Whether the item contributes to the creation of new industry or business
- Whether the item contributes to the creation of new culture, such as a new method, lifestyle, communication, etc.
- Whether the item contributes to the realization of the sustainable society
- Whether the item suggests new value, such as a new method, concept, style, etc. to society
Took over the improvement of fiscal 2013, the Good Design Award 2014 continued to carry out an appropriate screening, increase the winners’ profit, and enhance the public relations feature as the objective. Points of improvement are as follows.
Enhancement of screening :
- Subsequent to the previous year, in order to perform the screening with a perspective of "system - interaction" for all entries, a special screening unit was established to conducted cross screening.
- Revise part of screening point of view and carry out documented examination process then published as a "Jury tutorial book". In addition, application category, screening unit classification, entry application have been optimized.
- For the purpose of screening with more precise information, the "Interactive hearing" which started from last year, was held by ahead of schedule on the second day of the 2nd Screening.
Continuation and enhancements of special measures for reconstruction assistance :
The exemption of entry fee and G mark usage fee was continued this year for the purpose of supporting the reconstruction from the Great East Japan Earthquake 2011. In addition, although for the exemption of G mark use fee was limited to winners since fiscal 2011, we applied this for winners before 2011.
Improvement of the presence of Good Design Award in Asia :
The cooperation with Thailand, India, Singapore started from last year, and co-project cooperated with Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar with Japan ASEAN Centre, "Good Design Award Mekong design selection" were also conducted this year. Oversea screening was also been held in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea this year with expands of local jury.
Good Design Award 2014 Schedule
Good Design Award 2014 Guideline Release (April 2)
The Guideline of Good Design Award 2014
Good Design Award Application period (April 15 - June 10)
1st Screening (June 18 - July 14)
Entries were divided into several units. -> Jury Interviews
Results notification of the 1st screening (July 15)
2nd Screening (July 24 – September 9)
Held at Tokyo Big Sight and overseas based on the demand from applicants.
2nd Screening (Venue: Tokyo Big Sight East Hall 5,6 ) (August 26 - 28)
For subjects who passed the 1st screening, we conducted a secondary screening using the actual products, panel or other documents. Day 1&3 was closed door, and Day 2 was conducted the “Interactive hearing”. We also conducted private screening, presentation screening and screening panel for co-project "Mekong Design Selection" which cooperated with Japan ASEAN Centre. Recommended "Good Design Best 100" candidate from each unit, Jury President, screening Vice-Chairman, was confirmed at a special screening unit.
2nd screening in Taiwan (August 4, 5)
Cooperated with Taiwan Design Center, the screening is for entries from Taiwan. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the Best 100 candidates.
2nd screening in Korea (August 5, 6)
Cooperated with Korea Institute of Design Promotion, the screening is for entries from Korea. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the Best 100 candidates.
2nd screening in Hong Kong (August 12, 13)
Cooperated with Hong Kong Design Center, the screening is for entries from China Mainland and Hong Kong. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the Best 100 candidates.
2nd screening in Nigata (August 19)
In accordance with the provisions of “conduct screening based on demands from applicants”, carried out a secondary screening in Nigata, supported by TsubameSanjo Regional Industries Promotion Center. Also conducted the interactive hearing and selected the Best 100 candidates.
Good Design Award and Best 100 Board (September 4)
Determine the 2nd screening results by jury Chairman, vice Chairman, and all unit leaders. The council of special screening unit decided Good Design Best 100 from entries that nominated from each unit, and then from these 100 items, juries selected candidates for Grand Prize.
Results notification of 2nd screening (September 10)
Results of Good Design Award and Best 100 released on Entry Site.
Notification of Grand Prize candidates(September 28)
Good Design Best 100 Designers Presentation (October 11 - 13)
-> Designers Presentation
Good Design Award Exhibition (G Exhibition) (Venue: Tokyo Midtown) (October 31 – November 4)
Exhibited all awarded items and conducted a variety of events surrounding.
-> Good Design Award Exhibition(G Exhibition)
Good Design Special Award Panel (October 30)
Selected by all jury members, and guest juries.
Voting for Good Design Grand Prize (October 31- November 3)
Vote by all visitors of award exhibition.
Good Design Award ceremony & Grand Prize (November 4)
Ceremony was held at The Ritz Carlton Tokyo. Visitors, juries and award winners cast votes and selected the Grand Prize.
Yearbook “GOOD DESIGN AWARD 2014” Publish (March 2015)
Good Design Long Life Design Award 2014 Schedule
Long Life Design Award Guideline (April 15)
Guideline and Jury members released on Good Design Award official website.
Public recommendation (April 15 – June 16)
Accept public recommendation from users, designers and companies.
Candidate Selection Board (July 7)
Juries of Long Life design award select candidates from recommended design.
Company Application Deadline (July 23)
Application deadline of selected candidates for companies.
Long Life Design Award Candidate Exhibition & Public Message (August 1 - 8)
All candidates released on Good Design official website and receive public massages.
Long Life Design Award screening panel (August 26-28)
At Good Design Award secondary screening venue, performs screening by using the actual item and panel and Other Documents.
Announcement of the Long Life Design Award results (October 1)
-> Good Design Long Life Design Award
Long Life Design Exhibition (10月31日-11月3日)
Long Life Design Exhibition was held at Shibuya Hikarie 8F「8/」
Long Life Design Award Ceremony (November 2)
The ceremony was held at the Venue of Good Design Award Exhibition 2014.
Yearbook (March 2015)